[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 21 11:19:24 EDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Hubert Chathi <hubert at uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> People fork Debian for any and every reason.  If they don't like the
> direction that Debian is going, they should feel free to fork.  But
> using it as a threat is kind of silly.

It is not a threat in the usual sense. It is a "if we have no choice,
we will go that route".

And I think many would support a direction where systemd is an option,
one among many, and not a mandatory thing.

Choice is the key word here!

> The upcoming General Resolution will show what the majority of Debian
> Developers want, and no matter what the outcome, I don't see a
> significant number of Developers leaving because of it.

Bruce Perens (long Open Source advocate, and author of BusyBox)
pointed out that there are governance issues within Debian, and
adopting systemd is a result of that. His comments were on Slashdot
when the Debian Fork news article was posted there.

As an aside, someone parodied the Debian Fork initiative with this site:

http://forkfedora.org/

Which totally misses the point(s) ...

No one is denying that systemd's syntax is superior to custom shell
scripts. But that is not the point. No one is objecting to faster boot
times.

The issue is much more than that, the whole dependency chain,
rewriting most daemons (NTP, DHCP, login, ...), binary log format,
...etc.

Something like UselessD takes what is good from systemd and removes what is bad.

http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.