[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Hubert Chathi hubert at uhoreg.ca
Tue Oct 21 11:04:59 EDT 2014

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:22:27 -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> said:

> Now some people are threatening to fork Debian.  Not a mean feat. Not
> because technologically it is difficult, but rather the volunteer
> momentum, number of packages, repository mirrors, architectures,
> ...etc.

Debian is one of the most (if not the most) forked distributions,
especially if you count forks of forks.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

People fork Debian for any and every reason.  If they don't like the
direction that Debian is going, they should feel free to fork.  But
using it as a threat is kind of silly.

The upcoming General Resolution will show what the majority of Debian
Developers want, and no matter what the outcome, I don't see a
significant number of Developers leaving because of it.

> But, think of it as a reflection on how divisive forcing systemd on a
> large segment of users.

Unfortunately, they don't have any indication of how many people are
behind that site, so while I agree that the systemd issue has been very
divisive, I don't see that site in particular as being a good indicator
of divisiveness.