[kwlug-disc] Hard disk smartctl errors

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Oct 15 12:00:08 EDT 2014

Reviving an old thread ...

So, now I have another disk that is giving errors. It is an 2.5"
internal disk from a laptop of a family member.

It has 3 NTFS partitions, one with the HP stuff on it, another which
is also a sort of system partition, and then a third which is the main
Windows partition.

Even after freezing it, the 2 former partitions mount OK with no
errors. The 3rd (with the data on it) does not mount under ntfs-3g on
Linux and gives a lot of media errors.

Why would one partition have the errors? Are partitions aligned with
cylinders? Or because it is the largest (400+GB out of a 500GB disk)
it has more chance of having errors due to size?

Any other ideas?