[kwlug-disc] Hard disk smartctl errors

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Wed Oct 15 20:38:11 EDT 2014

The first two partitions are mostly read partitions. The third one is
written to more frequently.

If the drive detects okay and mounts two partitions then I would use
gddrescue to get as much data off as possible, and then photorec to
try and get some files out (assuming that you need data, and if you
don't then I presume this thread is just for fun).

I use the instructions here:

http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Ddrescue

I have retrieved data from several bad drives (including clicky
drives) using this tool.

- Paul

--
Need election information? Big list of resources here:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=149