[kwlug-disc] More news on ownCloud

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 8 02:42:18 EST 2014

This thread minds me of the thread Bob Day initiated some while back
when he tried (switched?) to something (I forget which) Debian based.

In essence, his question / confusion was "How do I install a package?"
in the sense of his being used to going to a site, downloading an RPM,
click install, and be done with it. (Much like windows users downloading
software and looking to click Setup.exe.)

It took him a bit, and he's an experienced Linux person, to understand -
it's all in the repository. aptitude install <package> ... done. [Or
your favourite version thereof.]

So, excellent observation about Universe. There are assumptions and
downsides to 'the Debian way' too. [But pry it out of my cold ...]

Doesn't mean the RPM way can't also be used, .debs can be downloaded and
gdebi (gui even) run on them. Heck, even RPMs can too.

Let alone using PPAs, be they Ubuntu hosted or elsewhere. (mondoarchive
comes to mind as an example of an elsewhere hosted and well maintained one.)

Sounds like OwnCloud users may be less irritated if OwnCloud had its own
PPA. (And does, for all I know. No doubt their main web page positively
screams the issues of the OP, and provides 'better practices' instructions.)

As Darcy points out ... caveat emptor.

... particularly after one ignores the warning screams listed when they
enable Universe. (-: