[kwlug-disc] More news on ownCloud

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Nov 8 11:05:13 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Darcy Casselman <dscassel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Technically, those people packaged it for Debian.  Ubuntu just pulls in
> everything from Debian and calls it "universe."
>
> I ran into this years ago when I was self-hosting Wordpress.

This is why Debian repositories, as fantastic as they are, are not
suitable for fast moving, complex projects, with lots of add-ons, and
built in update mechanisms.

I install everything from the repositories, but make exceptions where
they make sense.

Drupal is one such exception. Having it frozen in time in the
repositories means you don't get security updates quickly enough. You
are better off without debian repos here.

Again, those are the exceptions, not the rule.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.