[kwlug-disc] Truecrypt

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Fri May 30 13:49:59 EDT 2014

Unsolicited wrote:
> So how could Microsoft's end of support for XP have anything to do
>  with an encrypted file format?

The message on the TrueCrypt site doesn't imply correlation, never mind
causation: "The development of TrueCrypt was ended in 5/2014 after
Microsoft terminated support of Windows XP."  This is true, as is "Bob
replied to unsolicted after eating breakfast".

The latest news is provided by
https://twitter.com/stevebarnhart/status/472200478345150464

> Shocked, but received 2 replies from an e-mail previously used by a
>  "David". "There is no longer interest" [...]  He said Bitlocker is
>  "good enough" and Windows was original "goal of the project". No
> mention of audit in reply.

David on relicensing and forking the source:

> diplomatic orig reply. "personally" feels that fork is harmful.
> "The source is still available as a reference though"

And putting to rest that the impending audit scared off the developers:

> "I were happy with the audit, it didn't spark anything. We worked
> hard on this for 10 years, nothing lasts forever."

"David" is likely David Tesarik from the Czech Republic. As a
non-native English speaker, it would account for some of the odd
phrasing in the announcement.

(from
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.softodrom.ru%2Fap%2Fb19702.shtml
)

I can understand that he lost interest.  A third-party audit of his
software raised some $70,000 in funds, probably several orders of
magnitude more than any donations made for TrueCrypt itself. I can't
imagine something more depressing.

And for anyone contemplating BitLocker as an alternative: You'll lock
yourself into a closed system that's likely already compromised (with
no chance of a code review or security audit) that only runs on one
proprietary OS. Consider if this is really beneficial for your
clients, or merely easier for the SysAdmins.

- --Bob.