[kwlug-disc] mutt-compatible mail client

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun May 11 12:39:31 EDT 2014

Paul asks:
> But no messages to kwlug-disc seem to be affected. What's so
> different? Could it be a hostname thing?

DMARC relies on SPF, which are stored in TXT records in DNS. Digging
around[1], I see that kwlug.org has no TXT record, but wpirg.org has a
peculiar TXT record of " (yes, the escaped HTML entity for a
quote mark).

That just looks wrong. It is possible Yahoo is interpreting " as
an SPF restriction, so Paul's mail is not getting through.

FWIW, sobac.com has a TXT record of "v=spf1 mx ~all" (yes, including
the doublequote marks). This was supplied by my domain name
provider[2], and I'm unaware of any mail delivery problems to sobac.com.

My guess is someone tried to use a Web interface to update the DNS,
and the quotes were escaped, and everything else was truncated.
Better call the Tech Support Hotline at CCJ.

- --Bob.

[1] using these commands:

> dig kwlug.org any

> dig wpirg.org any

See what I did there?

[2] That's https://register4less.com/ who may cost a little more than
GoDaddy, but provide awesome service like creating custom DNS records
for you.

On 14-05-11 06:42 AM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 03:24:57AM -0400, Bob Jonkman wrote:
>>
>> William Park wrote:
>>> Well, if it was working, then what's changed?
>>
>> Yahoo changed.  They recently started enforcing DMARC, which, to
>>  quote, Breaks! Every! Mailing! List! In! The! World!
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/04/08/yahoo_breaks_every_mailing_list_in_the_world_says_email_guru/

I see Paul is using a Yahoo e-mail address, so he might be affected.