[kwlug-disc] Podcast, phase 01

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed May 7 20:31:17 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Paul Nijjar <paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> If anybody has specific pointers on how to do this I would be
> grateful. Here are the requirements:
>
> - Allows me to (manually) enter archive.org URLs into a node

There is a media module for archive.org here
https://drupal.org/project/media_archive

But, unless you are a specialized video aggregator site with many thousands
of videos, I recommend that you don't over-complicate the backend, so as to
make maintenance less and upgrades less painful.

Just add HTML at the end with an href link to the video.

- Allows me to set up RSS feeds based on those nodes. Ideally I would have
> a feed for OGGs and for MP3s, because it is 2003 and I totally think that
> OGG is worth supporting.

But are users interested in aggregation by format, or aggregation by time,
tags ...etc.?

> - It needs to be a solution that can be implemented in Drupal 6 but
>   will have a sane migration path to Drupal 7

Above module supports both, it seems.

> I do not need to slurp anything from archive.org manually (especially
> since I do not know how to get an RSS feed out of that service).
>

> Here is the best strategy I can think of so far:
>
> - Maybe using the emfield module to create appropriate CCK fields and
>   allow streaming off of kwlug.org for each node
> - Make a new content type of "podcast" that has fields for each of the
>   file format containers I want to support in the feeds
> - Set up a view that produces different RSS feeds. The big questions
>   are whether I can set up different RSS feeds that have different
>   enclosure elements (one for OGG, one for MP3), whether this RSS feed
>   can be made "iTunes friendly" (whatever that means), and whether
>   external enclosures will be handled properly.
>
> I have been looking through the different modules but nothing looks
> promising. There is https://drupal.org/project/ffpc but it looks
> poorly maintained. Most of the documentation that is out there is for
> really old versions of Drupal (apparently making podcast feeds was
> awesome in Drupal 4.7)
>
> - Paul
>

> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 11:26:54AM +0000, chaslinux at gmail.com wrote:
> > Paul I believe there's a drupal module that could take care of podcasts
> and RSS feeds.
> > Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
> > Sent from my cell phone.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin