[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 13:52:29 EDT 2014

For Wifeski and I, we are in the middle of making Ma Bell walk the plank..
 This is a bit off topic but ultimately it all comes under "why I need
unlimited internet and a good router firmware".

We are trying to cancel our Bell satellite TV.  They are pulling several
tricks right now to get us to stay (including something that sounds like
extortion to me), but they will be gone shortly.  That's $90 a month
liberated in the Name of the People.

We have had a look at getting an HDTV antenna from a local provider.  Good
idea but it's on the back burner for now.  I torrent most of my TV shows,
plus a lot of channels offer their broadcasts over the internet so we're
going to see how much we miss live TV before we buy the antenna.

Wifeski's cell phone will be moved over to Telus or Koodoo or whomever
shortly.  Mine is already Telus.

So that just leaves the home phone, currently a POTS from Bell.  I'm
looking at how to replace that next, probably with VoIP.  Any suggestions?
 I know this has come up in this group's discussions before, but I don't
need a lot of fancy features.  Just call display and a simple voicemail,
and the option to keep our old number.  Does anyone know of a simple
solution for home phone?  Remember that Wifeski wants something that anyone
can operate without having to know serious tech...