[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 28 14:09:55 EDT 2014

I find that using an ATA (SPA2102 or similar) with a VoIP provider is
good enough for simple use. Anyone can operate this without serious
tech because it is very similar to operating a POTS phone.
Setting up the thing is a different matter -- it is not a plug and
play solution. But once somebody has configured it to work stably then
it tends to continue working without too much babysitting.

Having said that, there are definitely ways in which we have found
VoIP over an ATA irritating:

- We have experienced problems with DTMF tone recognition
- We have experienced registrations being dropped
- Sometimes the VoIP providers have downtime
- If you have a lot of POTS phones in the house then supplying them
  with ATAs gets expensive

- Paul