[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 28 13:32:57 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:28 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> On 14-03-28 12:19 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The original motivation was to find out what/who was using bandwidth on
>> the
>> home network. This was because of Rogers' overages.
>>

> Ah, sounds like what another on the list calls their 'pesky teenager'
> problem.

Nowadays it is not only teenagers.

The TV has Netflix/Youtube/Crackle/UStream/...etc.
The new home theatre/receiver has internet radio ...
The phone is VoIP
Yadda yadda ...

>  Not as much a money issue now that I have unlimited internet, but sure
>> helps to know what is going on. For example: how much does VoIP use when
>> there are no calls, vs. when you are on the phone.
>>

> You switched? What did you go with / how's it working out?

Did not "switch". Just got the unlimited offer from Rogers in return of not
defecting now.

This is a temporary measure to buy time, until the contract runs out and
then I see what the options are, and whether Free over the air TV antenna
is enough, ...etc.

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal