[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Mar 28 11:45:33 EDT 2014

Yep, they were all excellent.

I especially like Ward's - beyond just openwrt / mapping (seems to be a
bugaboo with him for some reason), he was able to get into the whole ...
how do you power the thing mobilely (which was very cool), and exchange
data with something that isn't regularly part of the network (being
mobile / listening).

Cedric, as I recall, leveraged the beastie as a public wi-fi hotspot.
And, as a result, almost an inherent drop the device in to do some
(remote) network troubleshooting beastie.

Lori, as you say, did Asterisk, always a popular topic.

Not to say that Khalid wouldn't be welcome to do as he has offered -
especially if like Ward and the others he takes it to the next step of
networking knowledge transfer. Be it openvpn, ssh server, nmap/mrtg
network monitor, vlans (segmenting off servers, for example), or "How
much do you really trust your ISP's bandwidth consumption numbers?"

For many, on a regular basis, these are new topics. It's all good.

The idea of 'controlling your own destiny' / dissatisfaction with stock
routers, as an ISP connection point, is perpetual and pervasive. Add in
VoIP these days (vs POTS)[needn't even be Asterisk, as Oksana
demonstrates], and smartphones (as Raul demonstrated) or media
distribution, and it's always a useful and engaging seminar. (Most of
the above all being about port forwarding and managing the net once
OpenWRT is installed.)

If there is general interest and desire, it always seems to be a popular
topic.

And ... it's Khalid! [mic'ed, of course! (-: ]