[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 28 12:19:47 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:45 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Yep, they were all excellent.

And I managed to miss them all ... what a real bummer ...

Richard, I can't locate any slides for these sessions. Were they posted on
the site.

> Not to say that Khalid wouldn't be welcome to do as he has offered -
> especially if like Ward and the others he takes it to the next step of
> networking knowledge transfer. Be it openvpn, ssh server, nmap/mrtg network
> monitor, vlans (segmenting off servers, for example), or "How much do you
> really trust your ISP's bandwidth consumption numbers?"
>

> For many, on a regular basis, these are new topics. It's all good.

The original motivation was to find out what/who was using bandwidth on the
home network. This was because of Rogers' overages.

Not as much a money issue now that I have unlimited internet, but sure
helps to know what is going on. For example: how much does VoIP use when
there are no calls, vs. when you are on the phone.

I plan to show what tools are available to inspect your network's traffic,
and what I customized to report it by device, and keep history by
hour/day/month.

The idea of 'controlling your own destiny' / dissatisfaction with stock
> routers,

Absolutely! The possibilities are endless, and you are not artificially
limited from doing things by the manufacturer. Only the hardware limits,
and the efforts of the community porting software to the platform.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.