[kwlug-disc] OBD-II/OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Mar 7 13:11:56 EST 2014

On 2014-03-07 13:06, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> Well, in all of this good discussion on car parts, I heard somewhere
> in there that they won't pass an e-test if the check engine light is
> on?  This is troubling as my light has been on for years and I'm due
> next month for new plate stickers.  None of the mechanics I've seen
> can figure out how to turn the light off and keep it off (they can
> reset it, but it comes back on a week later).
> Does anyone have an idea of how I can resolve this?

There is (was?) a "conditional pass" mechanism in the e-test rules.
After dumping a certain amount of cash into the repair process a
mechanic can (could?) pass the vehicle with a "conditional pass".
I have heard, but do not know for sure, that the "conditional pass" is a
one-time thing.

After spending about $200, my vehicle was passed in 2013 with a
"conditional pass".
I am OK for 2014
But I do not know what I am in for in 2015.

JohnJ