[kwlug-disc] OBD-II/OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Mar 7 14:15:22 EST 2014

If you wipe the codes before going for your test, you'll be given a "Not
Ready" result, because you won't have any diagnostic information remaining.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_104964.html

It looks like in that case, you can go for a conditional pass after two
tests (after having driven >30KM over >24 hours). However, that appears to
require the traditional tailpipe emissions test, which you must presumably
actually pass.

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_103062.html

Don't take my word for it, though. I'm just some guy reading the MTO
website. I'd go start your eTest process as soon as you possibly can, and
talk to your technician about it. You might want to make sure the facility
you're getting tested at can still do tailpipe tests.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Andrew Kohlsmith (mailing lists account) <
aklists at mixdown.ca> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 1:06 PM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Well, in all of this good discussion on car parts, I heard somewhere in
> there that they won't pass an e-test if the check engine light is on?  This
> is troubling as my light has been on for years and I'm due next month for
> new plate stickers.  None of the mechanics I've seen can figure out how to
> turn the light off and keep it off (they can reset it, but it comes back on
> a week later).
> > Does anyone have an idea of how I can resolve this?
>
> Reset it the day of the test. That’s so much horse puckey. If I can pass
> the test I don’t care if my check engine light jumps through the dash and
> slaps the tech.
>
> -A.

Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>