[kwlug-disc] Software Freedom Day

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 26 23:37:59 EDT 2014

I totally agree with Ralph on the outreach to non-conventional channels to
get more audience outside the usual converts.

Yes, government, local, municipal and provincial are good candidates.

Here are some other avenues as well:

- The two school boards?

- Alerting the conventional media (The Record, CTV, CBC) well before the
event

- Listing the event in the Calendar section of The Record that is printed
in the Friday "Night Life" section, well ahead of time (I think it is free
to list).

- Perhaps one page pamphlets distributed in key areas in downtown (e.g.
eating places for lunch clients?)

I could do a "what is open source and why use it?" talk if needed.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> In order to get better outreach, it would be interesting to partner
> up with other local organisations, such that their reach can be
> used for announcements for the event.
>
> At first, I would suggest municipal governments. They have departments
> that are working on community engagement and events.
>
> Secondly there is the small business advisory board (belongs to
> Ontario government).
>
> Thirdly, it might be interesting to contact Chamber of Commerce and
> Communitech, I know they are no purist, however, if you want others
> than only the regulars, I think those places are not the worst to
> look into.
>
> Ralph
>

> On 2014-06-25 18:00, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>
>> Officially, Software Freedom Day is scheduled for Sept 20, 2014. We
>> could potentially hold it a week earlier.
>>
>> At work we started talking about whether we wanted to organize
>> something again this year. Two goals we would like to achieve are:
>>
>> - Better outreach, so that we get more people than "the regulars"
>> - More participating in organizing the event from people outside our
>>   workplace
>>
>> Another goal might be:
>>
>> - Making the event relevant to a 2014 audience
>>
>> So consider this an early invitation. Who wants to help organize
>> things this year?
>>
>> - Paul
>>

> --
> txwikinger