[kwlug-disc] KWLUG and CASL (and Mailman)

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 18 18:43:28 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 6:29 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> We don't send to non-subscribers.
>
> Wouldn't subscribing be consent to receive?

Yes.

But when people attend the meeting and add their email, there is no "terms"
or "agreement" on the form. So they may not have explicitly given consent
to be on the list. They may not be interested in antenna adventures.

And we got a message from someone who moved and emailed to be taken off the
list (despite the links, which he probably did not scroll down enough to
see).

So, to be safe, Paul should send out such an email.

Here is one I got from a large corporation:

===
EXAMPLE requests your consent

At EXAMPLE , we strive to build a better working world. That includes
sharing information with our valued contacts that’s both beneficial and
relevant. Canada’s new anti-spam legislation requires that we obtain your
consent by 1 July 2014 in order for you to continue receiving electronic
communications from us.

Please click the link below to confirm whether you wish to continue to
receive emails and other electronic communications from us, including
announcements, publications, thought leadership, newsletters, and
invitations to events or learning opportunities which we think would be of
interest to you. If we don’t hear from you by 1 July, we may need to remove
you from our electronic distribution lists.

Click here to confirm or deny consent.

We appreciate your timely response.  Thank you.
===
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.