[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 10 15:02:09 EDT 2014

On 14-06-10 10:22 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Khalid.
>>
>> Would be interested to know if anything changes if you terminated the
>> splitter. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cable-tv-coax-terminator/941326
>>

> Interesting.
>
> With the existing 3 way splitter, I wanted to use the third OUT to go to
> the radio receiver, but even with an outdoor antenna, the Toronto channel I
> want does not come in.

Hook it up for a bit anyways, it still effects termination.

 > The bonus is that it will record in HD, which you can play on a
computer in HD, but not on your TV.

Ah. Took a sec. Because the computer will play the file directly.
(Otherwise, out from box to in on computer monitor would be ...
problematic. Directly, anyways.) I'll guess the box is UPNP capable,
too, then. Nah, can't be - no net. Huh? (You'd have to move the HD?)

 > 300 hours.

OK, good point. If you're watching that much, you being you, something
has crushed your hands. Although I'm not sure even that would stop you.

Let alone, if you acquire that much, and want to keep, you'd just move
the HD elsewhere long enough to 'archive' some stuff off. Perhaps even
recompressing it in the process. (Handbrake.)

 > But I don't know of a solution that can record off of that.

You won't find one. Per John. Not in North America anyways.

Apparently they're being very (successfully?) rigorous about unencrypted
DHCP on HDMI. Alternatives are component out to recording device, but
getting the one / scheduled to turn on the other is problematic - let
alone you've just split the audio/video streams, and keeping them in
sync can be problematic. Or a Hong Kong black market purchase of an HDMI
splitter out unencrypted / non-DHCP to a recorder. Or pirate bay.

Or get PC version, and hack the software / stream. (Which is why, I
expect, there is a dearth of Linux solutions for such.) ssh into the
standalone box which is probably running Linux, or Android, anyways?

If you acquire a solution do let us know. And hope the message doesn't
transit the U.S.!

Hmm, wonder if I've broken the new copyright law merely by writing any
of the above.