[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jun 10 10:22:51 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:28 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Khalid.
>
> Would be interested to know if anything changes if you terminated the
> splitter. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cable-tv-coax-terminator/941326

Interesting.

With the existing 3 way splitter, I wanted to use the third OUT to go to
the radio receiver, but even with an outdoor antenna, the Toronto channel I
want does not come in. But if I decide later to hook something else, it
would be handy, e.g. HDHomeRun tuner.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345012

Since the 3 way at Home Depot has a wider frequency range, and it allows
power injection as well, I am inclined to try it and inject the power on
the third output, and remove the power injector that came with the KT200.
This way, there is one less connection in the path, and perhaps a couple of
dB saved (per the advice of others in another thread).

If I find there is no difference, then I may try the terminator.

For $48, it seems worth it for the tuner alone, vis a vis standalone tuner
> costs. (If one's TV, like mine, doesn't have an ATSC tuner.) Take the two
> channels one gets with a coat hanger, and run with it. [If not ready to
> pursue to the extent you were motivated to.]

That is the other use for that PVR: a digital converter box for exactly
your case. The bonus is that it will record in HD, which you can play on a
computer in HD, but not on your TV.

> OTOH, something with Ethernet in would let you take advantage of the web.
> (XBMC on a stick? With commercial skip and smaller compression options,
> even? 6GB/hr seems like a lot - HD I'm guessing.)

Yes, it is HD, and yes, it is a lot. But a 2TB disk will hold over 300
hours by my calculation.

> Or a netflix box - if / should you ever be so interested. (Unless your TV
> already has that?) [Let me guess - no netflix capable box has PVR ability?]

See the HDHomeRun above.

But I don't know of a solution that can record off of that. It advertizes
itself on the LAN as a DLNA device. Don't know of anything that can record
off of DLNA. But I have not researched that.

> (I sure get though that Job 1 for you was Roger's equivalent so you could
> kill that bill entirely.)

Yes. In a week or so I will call them to ask for cancellation in July. We
will see.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.