[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 9 14:52:56 EDT 2014

I though Pre-Amps were powered? So, you have electrical outside powering
it? I thought electrical power outside ... not optimal?

You haven't mentioned grounding. From Andrew K's (?) messages earlier
... important.

> I am getting more channels on this than with the Phillips setup, but
> also noticed that moving the cables around beside the TV causes some
> jitter.

Interesting. Very good to know. Thanks for the continued posts!

 > The 3 way splitter is an old 1990s from the pre-digital era.

I suspect shouldn't matter (unidirectional), but others will know better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_television_frequencies also
shows ATSC frequencies, which I didn't notice until your post.

 > Should I use a 2 way splitter to avoid an uncapped outlet, or just
 > get the 3 way one?

2-way. As Bob noted, on a 3 way the other two legs will have much more
degradation. Let alone, if you have a 2-way as a spare, putting it
inline with one 2-way won't degrade you much more than that 2nd leg of a
3 way. (And you'll have it to hand when you last second need it, and it
will get you through until you can get to the store for a 3-way, if you
determine you really need it.)