[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 9 14:10:09 EDT 2014

Following up on Charles problem, since it may relate to something I am
seeing ...

I finally reached what should be the final setup with an 8-bay antenna and
a pre-amp (details on this in a future email).

I am getting more channels on this than with the Phillips setup, but also
noticed that moving the cables around beside the TV causes some jitter.

The setup is like this

Outdoor         | Indoor
Ant - Pre-Amp - | - Pwr Injctr - Surge - 3 wy spltr

Ant  = Antenna
Pre-Amp = Pre-Amplifier, on the antenna mast
Pwr Injctr = Co-axial Power injector for the pre-amp
Surge = Surge protector which has coax protection

Then from the splitter, there are only two connections: one to the TV, and
the other to the PVR (which has an ATSC tuner), each is an RG6 3 ft
connection. One connection is unused, and uncapped.

The dashes in the above 'diagram' are all RG6. All are 3 ft, except for the
one form pre-amp to indoors which is 100 ft.

The 3 way splitter is an old 1990s from the pre-digital era.

So, the question is: would replacing this splitter with a newer one with
more bandwidth (5 MHz to 2400 MHz) make any difference? (e.g. this one from
Home Depot)

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/3-way-24-ghz-splitter/983400

Should I use a 2 way splitter to avoid an uncapped outlet, or just get the
3 way one?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.