[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 9 15:00:51 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 2:52 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I though Pre-Amps were powered? So, you have electrical outside powering
> it? I thought electrical power outside ... not optimal?

The power injector does that. There is a wall wart thing that outputs DC
through a coax connector and that goes to the power injector, which sends
power to the pre-amp via the same 100 ft coax cable. No extra cables
necessary.

With the RCA I linked to, I can take out the power injector from the path,
and inject power right from the splitter, so less loss, since less
connections.

That is my assumption/hope, waiting for some experts to confirm/deny that.

> You haven't mentioned grounding. From Andrew K's (?) messages earlier ...
> important.

The cable from the antenna/pre-amp goes into a surge protector. The mast is
metal and goes into the ground, though ideally I need a plate/rod buried
deep beside it. There are several trees that are higher than the antenna
though and it is in the far side of the yard, so not very concerned as I
would if it is on top of the house.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.