[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Jonathan Poole jpoole at digitaljedi.ca
Tue Jul 29 18:44:25 EDT 2014

Maybe off topic, however...Not really the Virtualization technology, but a way to use guest OS’s the same between them….(Vmware, Xen, Ec2, DigitalOcean, rackspace, w/e)

My setup consists of usually the following:

MacBook Pro: virtualbox + vagrant + packer.

Packer to build a vagrant box (virtual box image) usualy running chef-solo, but any provisioner will work (same folks who develop vagrant, develop packer)
Import locally (.box)

Import into vagrant and..:

Iterate on provisioning - more sophisticated provisioning usually with chef-server, heavier lifting with recipes, code, deployments, or capistrano tasks.

Develop scripts/configure vm locally usually using different provisioning methods (salt, ansible, chef, puppet, shell) primarily chef, with berkshelf.

Once it’s ready for others to use, or pushing into production…

Packer build AMI or whatever cloud based box format

Run chef/provisioning, which should be predictable as it’s been done locally with a very similar system.

Done.

This allows me to keep costs down by not having long running AWS instances, or other cloud instances running while I develop myself out of the wet paper bag I put myself in, and I can work anywhere (once a .box is imported into vagrant, I can do all kinds of local development without the need of uploading,).  This then gives me a predictable way of building machines in the cloud, locally, usually on any platform.

Other pros:

1. I’m committing recipes, scripts, etc that have been tested, before pushing/publishing
2. Never have to deal with the ‘throwing it over the fence’ scenarios from development/operations
3. If your computer can handle it, clusters are not out of the question within a vagrant environment.
4. A proper dev, test, stage, prod workflow.

./jp
$0.02.