[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Jul 29 18:02:46 EDT 2014

Thanks to all who replied.

Seems that libvirt (which has virsh in it) is the way to go and be VM
technology independent (of sorts).

Now, for another aspect of all this ...

When I used VPSs, they have always been Xen based (SliceHost,
RackSpace Cloud, Linode, Amazon AWS), and performance is good.

But for the past few years I have been hearing that KVM is the way to
go, and it is better than Xen, ...etc.

Why are people saying that?
Is it overhype?
If it is true then why are the above big companies staying with Xen
and not moving to KVM?
Is it just inertia and sunk cost?

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin