[kwlug-disc] Virtualization technology

Jonathan Poole jpoole at digitaljedi.ca
Tue Jul 29 19:17:39 EDT 2014

I think it maybe a bit of sunk cost, but also big companies like a ‘bit pointy finger’ to swag around when problems arise.  If they are heavily invested into vmware, and trip a bug, vmware is obligated to fix.  OpenStack has KVM support which has probably gained a lot of traction over the last few years as the hypervisor race moves along.

IMHO kvm is gaining traction as it has matured, and management of single-host to multi-node hypervisor (aka clusters) has matured to a point where its do-able, and with that the cost being so low, gained a big push.

A few years back I setup a proxmox cluster with some old solaris machines utilized for NFS heads (lots of spindles directly attached) running ZFS/NFS presenting to a handful of linux machines running proxmox.  This was the ‘shared storage’ for KVM/QEMU virtual disk images that could be hot potatoed across the cluster with very little notice.  It had it’s quirks, but the feature set was solid if a few years ago (Jan 2011-2012), and without vmware licensing fee’s, or big learning curve of going to openstack, this didn’t break the bank for re-provisioned hardware.