[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 20 17:46:23 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-19 20:44, unsolicited wrote:
> On 14-07-18 09:46 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:
> .
> .
> .
>> I am not convinced a monolithic kernel is the best solution
>
> This is why I was quite fascinated when RIM chose QNX. I still await
> to see how that all plays out. True multitasking with only the kernel
> pieces necessary for any given install.
>
> 'course the IBM / Apple enterprise announcement gives one pause on
> that. If Apple 'just works', (PDA) end users only need simple things
> to work sufficiently well, and IBM delivers what end to end enterprise
> is willing to pay for - sufficiently good may well again beat out
> technically superior.
>
> 't will be interesting to watch. But I expect IBM/Apple will win, for
> the same reasons Ubuntu has.

It depends what is meant by "true multitasking". At one point or another
there always
may be resources that need co-operation or scheduling. However, the
multi-tasking/
multi-threating problem is IMHO mostly independent from the issue how
monolithic
a kernel needs to be. Monolithic has for me more to do with the "Single
Responsibility
Principle" and general decoupling. I think there are less arguments
these principles
have tremendous advantages in regards to the development process and the
incrementing
of technical debt, however about the efficiency during run-time are more
arguments.

'Just works' multitasking in general usually means highly independent
processes/threats.
As soon as dependencies exist, it does not just work, but must either be
specially
developed for it, or needs analytics that can make proper decisions.
Regardless, most
of the time there is still resource blocking (mot likely memory access
or i/o).

> Re: Desktops

> The world is a world of users who's focus is not on the nifty things
> one can do with a computer, but with doing what they are required to
> do with as little mindshare as possible, so they can apply greater
> focus and time on whatever scratches their itch. Which isn't a nifty
> desktop widget or PDA app.

I believe the idea of a lot of the FLOS people and "merging markets"
proponents
like Canonical is that a full desktop is not necessary for the
functionality
you describe here. Hence the desktop is stripped down to very
rudimentary tasks.
Especially on mobile devices with small screens, this may be an
interesting approach.

However, I have always argued that this is not my use case. My time is
spent mostly on
development and not "playing and being entertained" by my desktop. I see
the business
case, that's why I have full understanding why Canonical, Google &
others have decided
to move in such a direction. And if they believe a lot of the
unnecessary functionality
should be in the kernel, there needs to be a practical solution for a
fork with
hopefully minimised additional maintenance costs.

--
txwikinger

Long live free/libre software