[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jul 21 16:33:20 EDT 2014

On 14-07-20 05:46 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:
> On 2014-07-19 20:44, unsolicited wrote:
>> On 14-07-18 09:46 PM, Ralph Janke wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>> I am not convinced a monolithic kernel is the best solution
.
.
.
> Regardless, most
> of the time there is still resource blocking (mot likely memory access
> or i/o).

QNX has become very, very, respected in the embedded world for
excellence, particularly for true multi-tasking and for only loading the
needed pieces of the 'kernel'. Never mind whether one agrees on the
message passing architecture used, or that it's a proprietary ecosystem.

Blocks are, of course, blocks - if one is waiting for i/o or memory, may
as well move on to the next waiting process that isn't. QNX apparently
does true multi-tasking very very well / intelligently.

What I found notable when I looked a few years back, none of the current
popular PDA OS' are true multi-tasking. Thus my comment that it will be
interesting to see how much success RIM / QNX has.

>> Re: Desktops

> However, I have always argued that this is not my use case.

Amen!

I bought a desktop, with a keyboard, for a reason! Don't neuter that
functionality because you're trying to (inappropriately) apply the same
solution across multiple devices, where they may have very small screens
and no hardware keyboard. I use a hardware keyboard for a reason! I type
- stop making me move my hands from the keyboard where I am speedily
productive!

A desktop is a desktop, stop trying to ram the square peg into your new
round hole!

What concerns me, though, is if all the development / dollars is going
to mobile, will true desktops become more and more marginalized.

Still don't understand why ... can't think of the name ... had screens
that folded over to be pads only when desired ... ran Windows Mobile
(unfortunately, MS Journal comes to mind, cops used them), Toshiba
Satellite's ... didn't become more popular than they did. Hardware
costs, presumably. Perhaps those costs will be coming down now. Still
implies well integrated physical keyboards and using up the entire
screen - not just the center.

As for fork'ing, like I said - may suit your individual use case, but
what will carry the day is whatever large enterprises deploy in large
numbers. To date that still appears to be Windows (7) over Linux, a
problem still not yet solved out there. Presumably due to Office and
Exchange / Outlook - LibreOffice seems to make slow / marginal headway.
While one might have thought more effort would have been put into
Evolution / Zimbra / whatever, when its FLOSS there's no financial
incentive to make the investment. Yet, I perceive Android and
Canonical's greatest success is in awareness and putting more Linux
devices in physical hands. But they are moving to mobile / keyboardless
interfaces! ???

Leaving those using keyboards, particularly I.T. development people,
behind. I guess with things like voice recognition / dictation, those
needing keyboards become less and less the mass market, lower returns
for the investment dollar, you dance with them what brung ya.