[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jul 18 20:30:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

>  I don't understand why community and systemd must be opposed?
>>>

>> This was in response to a comment about corporate influence and such,
>> which
>> is absent in Debian's case.
>>

> Not entirely so.
>
> At least in the sense that the *buntu's and others are Debian based.
>
> And, as you noted not long ago, you prefer *buntu over Debian.

Yes, I do prefer Ubuntu over Debian, but mainly out of habit, (perceived or
real) better hardware support, and the vast repositories.

On servers, I could switch to Debian without noticing much difference.

> Debian may not itself be (significantly?) corporate influenced, but its
> derivatives that many (most?) depend upon are.
>
> To Ralph's note, it's not about our distro choices as individuals - it's
> about the enterprise's choice of popular distros by which we put food in
> our mouths. We develop expertise where the market has demand for it. And,
> it seems to me, enterprises tend to stick with the larger distros.

While Ubuntu "innovates" and do their own thing sometimes, like Upstart for
example, they usually follow the upstream provider (Debian) when it comes
to non-desktop. For example when Debian voted for systemd, they announced
that they will abandon upstart and go with systemd in the future.

On the desktop, they do go their own way, like with Unity and Wayland.

But, whatever Ubuntu does, Debian is still there and non-commercial, and is
the basis of other distros out there. So, the decision to go with systemd
was not commercial on Debian's part.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.