[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Jul 18 20:10:56 EDT 2014

On 14-07-18 06:34 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 3:28 AM, Chris Irwin <chris at chrisirwin.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Ubuntu so far, upstart is the init system. It generally stays out of
>> the way. Only one time I needed to deal with it, because MySQL would not
>> start, and had to find out that it logged to a different destination
>> (/var/log/upstart). Other than that, it is transparent.
>>

>> Upstart had some serious shortcomings as an init system.
.
.
.

> Why do you say an init script can't be disabled?

My sense from the comment was 'had'. Not that it does today.

>> I don't understand why community and systemd must be opposed?
>>

> This was in response to a comment about corporate influence and such, which
> is absent in Debian's case.

Not entirely so.

At least in the sense that the *buntu's and others are Debian based.

And, as you noted not long ago, you prefer *buntu over Debian.

Debian may not itself be (significantly?) corporate influenced, but its
derivatives that many (most?) depend upon are.

To Ralph's note, it's not about our distro choices as individuals - it's
about the enterprise's choice of popular distros by which we put food in
our mouths. We develop expertise where the market has demand for it.
And, it seems to me, enterprises tend to stick with the larger distros.