[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Jul 18 18:57:09 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM, Ralph Janke <txwikinger at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> One more point. What I am also worried about would be if applications
> become dependent on dbus and systemd. In the end, I do need certain
> applications and if they are so tightly bound on such technologies that
> they do not work without it anymore, it would be as bad, as if they are
> tightly coupled inside the kernel.

That is exactly my point: no choice, and the FLOS camp dominates. It is not
about which is better per se. If the FLOS camp are doing their own thing,
but I have choice not to use their stuff, then I am happy, and let them do
what they think is better.

If I need A, but A depends on B, and B depends on C, and I don't like C, I
have no choice. If things are decoupled or loosely coupled, then we get to
chose any lego block to fit. But if it only has one other piece to fit,
then we are forced to build things The One True Way (tm).

Gnome (which I do not use) is already dependent on systemd. Now we are
seeing tight coupling, and we will eventually move into more of a
monoculture, which has many downsides, including easier targeting for
malicious attacks.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.