[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Ralph Janke txwikinger at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 18 17:28:03 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-17 21:26, unsolicited wrote:
> But that is the key ... we are dependent upon the distros.

Well.. actually we are not. Or we do not need to be. I remember the time
when RedHat
decided that you could only get updates of packages if you buy their
distro and not use the community version (before they even split RH and
Fedora). I moved away from RedHat at that moment. With a short stint
using SuSe, I moved to Kubuntu. And since Canonical got more interested
in
phones than the desktop, I moved on to Crunchbang for the moment.

We are far more dependent on the kernel than the distro. I am far more
concerned that a lot of the dbus functionality with move into the
kernel, in
order for systemd to work. Well let me rephrase this. I am far more
concerned
if such functionality will be as default in the kernel.

Technology progresses. I have been using *nix systems for more than 35
years now.
While I understand your argument about the moving target, I am used to
it.
Bleeding edge technology will always move on. The real issue ensues when
the choices are gone. I have no problem with Canonical/Ubuntu chasing
the dream of being relevant in the mobile market. However, Jono Bacon
responded
once to one of my blog articles criticizing Ubuntu for not listening to
the community,
that the idea of Free Software is to scratch one's itch. Well, that
means, if
a particular distro does not do that for you anymore, you have choices.
You can either
try to use you influence there to change directions. Or you can move to
another
distro that fits you better. Or you can start a community that has the
same issues you
have and start a new distro (I actually have been a while ago trying
that out a bit too
with tanglu)

It will become problematic when those choices are taken away. Hopefully,
that will not
happen, because there are enough people who need a *nix in the
traditional sense more
than a toaster that does everything, and such a community will be
sustainable. Due
to the licensing, we have the freedom to try that.

> More particularly, we are dependent upon the most popular distros -
> Debian (Ubuntu), Fedora (CentOS/RHEL), or (Open)SuSe based. It is a
> hard sell to an enterprise outside of those. And even then Fedora and
> SuSe have in essence abandoned apt-get. And aside from Debian, these
> popular distros have corporate underpinnings - and thus vested
> interests in 'their' way, as going concerns.

Fedora and SuSe were always rpm based and not .deb based.

> What they do over and above Linus impacts us as much or more than what
> Linus does. They're going to take his stuff regardless. How they munge
> it beyond that is beyond our control. We do not have enough feet such
> that voting with our feet is meaningful.

One more point. What I am also worried about would be if applications
become
dependent on dbus and systemd. In the end, I do need certain
applications
and if they are so tightly bound on such technologies that they do not
work
without it anymore, it would be as bad, as if they are tightly coupled
inside
the kernel.