[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jul 17 21:26:26 EDT 2014

But that is the key ... we are dependent upon the distros.

More particularly, we are dependent upon the most popular distros -
Debian (Ubuntu), Fedora (CentOS/RHEL), or (Open)SuSe based. It is a hard
sell to an enterprise outside of those. And even then Fedora and SuSe
have in essence abandoned apt-get. And aside from Debian, these popular
distros have corporate underpinnings - and thus vested interests in
'their' way, as going concerns.

What they do over and above Linus impacts us as much or more than what
Linus does. They're going to take his stuff regardless. How they munge
it beyond that is beyond our control. We do not have enough feet such
that voting with our feet is meaningful.

I can get why the desire to move away from text files - but I don't get
not building a command line interface as part and parcel of developing
any given API. And I can get the desire for 'one true way' for any given
thing. Simplicity, solve the problem, and move on - except, no problem
is static. (An attitude I find in most service people that I have to
keep fighting - "No!" don't cinch up that tie wrap, inevitably someone
will have to follow you with further work and leverage what you have
done. DON'T make them cut away all your work in order to do theirs! Do
comment your code, DO make functions that return codes!)

And I can appreciate that 'Linux' is so big a haystack that it is
problematic integrating your 'good stuff' with everything else, rather
than just 'solving the problem and moving on'. 'cause integrating with
everything is an impossible perpetually ongoing task, it's too big for
any one person to know everything, so one never actually gets closure.

And probably the single biggest reason for so many abandoned projects.