[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Jason Locklin jalockli at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Jul 17 21:51:42 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

>I can get why the desire to move away from text files - but I don't get
not building a command line interface as part and parcel of developing any
given API.

I don't doubt there will be CLI interfaces; where there is a
well-documented API, there will be CLI programs that can interact with
them. They may even be scriptable. The difference, of course, is that your
scripts will consist of successive calls to these programs, using whatever
esoteric arguments and idiosyncrasies they require, rather than
interactions with text files in standard locations, using standard shell
commands. Of course "standard locations" and "standard commands" have
become scarce across the rapidly diverging distributions anyway.

It's a good thing the BSDs exist, just in case. -Jason Locklin