[kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:42:59 EDT 2014

So which Fedora are you currently running on your desktop? Do you have any specific tools installed that help with server admin from the desktop?

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 00:58:12 -0400
From: chris at chrisirwin.ca
To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Joe Wennechuk <youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

I am about to start a new position on the 21 st., and they are Redhat enthusiasts. The vast majority of my experience is with Debian. What are the major differences that I need to know right away? I understand that the networking system etc file structure is dissimilar, and to type yum instead of apt-get, but what really are the differences? Also should I change my Desktop environment from Kubuntu, or any *untu. I am downloading RHEL Enterprise desktop and will install later today. What are my options, and is the switch from *untu on my desktop necessary  when dealing with RHEL servers in the infrastructure?

There are quite a few differences between Red Hat versions, as well. Just in init systems, RHEL 5 was SysV,  RHEL 6 was Upstart (but primarily relying on SysV compatability), RHEL 7 is systemd. So don't just grab the latest & greatest: Grab the one that you need to work on.

I was originally an Ubuntu user as well, but made the switch to Fedora at both home & work. Partially to keep some amount of similarity with the servers I work on, but also due the mir and upstart debacles. There is a learning curve when you're used to building debian packages. I still haven't learned to build my own RPMs yet.

Fedora also has introduced COPR, a which kind of fills the niche that Launchpad PPAs did: https://copr.fedoraproject.org/

--
Chris Irwin

<chris at chrisirwin.ca>