[kwlug-disc] Switching Jobs from Debian Shop to RHEL?

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Jul 14 00:58:12 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Joe Wennechuk <
youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am about to start a new position on the 21 st., and they are Redhat
> enthusiasts. The vast majority of my experience is with Debian. What are
> the major differences that I need to know right away? I understand that the
> networking system etc file structure is dissimilar, and to type yum instead
> of apt-get, but what really are the differences? Also should I change my
> Desktop environment from Kubuntu, or any *untu. I am downloading RHEL
> Enterprise desktop and will install later today. What are my options, and
> is the switch from *untu on my desktop necessary  when dealing with RHEL
> servers in the infrastructure?

There are quite a few differences between Red Hat versions, as well. Just
in init systems, RHEL 5 was SysV,  RHEL 6 was Upstart (but primarily
relying on SysV compatability), RHEL 7 is systemd. So don't just grab the
latest & greatest: Grab the one that you need to work on.

I was originally an Ubuntu user as well, but made the switch to Fedora at
both home & work. Partially to keep some amount of similarity with the
servers I work on, but also due the mir and upstart debacles. There is a
learning curve when you're used to building debian packages. I still
haven't learned to build my own RPMs yet.

Fedora also has introduced COPR, a which kind of fills the niche that
Launchpad PPAs did: https://copr.fedoraproject.org/

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>