[kwlug-disc] Bitrot and atomic COWs: Inside ???next-gen??? filesystems | Ars Technica

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 11:29:27 EST 2014

On Wed 22 Jan 2014 01:48:38 AM EST, unsolicited wrote:
> On 14-01-21 04:20 PM, Chris Frey wrote:

That article was the impetus for me to try it out for the first time
while rebuilding a home micro-server from an old netbook with a 8Gb SSD
(and broken screen). Turning on compression and running a "defragment"
brought my Debian install from about 1.8Gb down to under 600Mb, with no
obvious slow-down. Funny, it was the first time I have ever run a
defragment on a Linux system! Brings  me back to my Win ME days! lol.

I figured it was a good place to start because at 8Gb, I can easily do
bare-metal backups in case I run into a fs bug. It has a bit of a
learning curve, so I'd suggest doing some reading before doing anything
fancy with it, but it's really exciting.
-Jason Locklin