[kwlug-disc] Bitrot and atomic COWs: Inside ???next-gen??? filesystems | Ars Technica

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jan 22 01:48:38 EST 2014

On 14-01-21 04:20 PM, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 05:58:21PM -0500, Paul Nijjar wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:27:46AM -0500, L.D. Paniak wrote:
>>> A quick overview of what makes "next-generation" filesystems like ZFS
>>> and btrfs different and necessary:
>>>
>>> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/01/bitrot-and-atomic-cows-inside-next-gen-filesystems/
>>>

>> This was a good article. I am especially excited by the idea of
>> sending snapshots remotely. Thanks for sharing it.
>
> Let me add my thanks too.  I'm not the kind of guy who usually looks
> forward to new filesystems (give me old and steady!) but the checksumming
> is pretty cool, and is similar to the switch to git for me.
>
> Looking forward to btrfs.

Looking forward?

It's the default filesystem on OpenSuse now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs "In summer 2012, several Linux
distributions have moved Btrfs from experimental to production /
supported status, including SLES 11 SP2 ..."

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ4ODE

(Or did you mean, looking forward to your own first taste of it yourself?)

I found the wikipedia article a useful read when first trying to wrap my
head around 'what is this beastie?'