[kwlug-disc] Tomorrow's presentation; A Geekly Bribe!

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sun Jan 5 22:51:00 EST 2014

On 05/01/14 10:29 PM, L.D. Paniak wrote:

> On 01/05/2014 09:40 PM, Digimer wrote:
>> I'm not sure how the weather will play out on tomorrow's meeting.
>> If the roads are dangerous, I'd be perfectly fine rescheduling.
>> Not worth anyone getting into an accident, of course. :)
>>
>> If the talk is on though, I thought I'd try to bribe those
>> sitting on the fence about whether to come or not. Thanks to our
>> vendors, we've got some pretty awesome hardware for the demo
>> tomorrow. Here's a sneak peak:
>>
>> http://imgur.com/a/9qWhv
>>
>> It is, thus far, the fastest Anvil! we've built. Synchronously
>> replicated storage reliably clocking ~835 MB/sec. I know I am
>> all biased and stuff, but it's a pretty sweet setup and I am
>> looking forward to showing it off tomorrow.
>>
>> If anyone wants to come with some questions, the talk's goal will
>> be to introduce:
>>
>> https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2
>>
>> Obviously, we'll only be getting a high-level view, simply out
>> of time. So here's a chance to take a peak at it early and come
>> with any questions. I'm hoping that the talk will be about 50%
>> demo, 50% Q&A.
>>
>> See you all (hopefully) tomorrow!
>>

> Thanks for the trailer!  I am certainly looking forward to
> tomorrow's meeting - though I may ask pesky questions about the
> comparative advantages and disadvantages of other (distributed)
> redundant storage systems.
>
> As far as I know, the meeting is still on for tomorrow and I plan
> on being there as host.  The weather outlook does not look very
> positive: 40km/h+ wind, flurries  and -18C tomorrow evening.  If
> you want to reschedule, I suspect the group would be receptive to
> that as we are not in the business of imperiling speakers or
> attendees. In any case, the list will make any strong feelings on
> this point known shortly!
>
> Cheers, Lori

Safety comes first.

With that understood; I may have a hard time rescheduling. I've got a
lot of travel in the near future. So, personally, if it's possible to
attend safely, I will be there. If the safety is questionable, I am
fine rescheduling, too. I'll wait to hear from KWLUG folks and let you
guys make the call.

As for question, please bring them. I will say that if we drift too
far off topic, I might request folks hold off until after the
presentation. We could even grab a coffee after if the presentation
location has to close up.

See you then (hopefully)!

--
Digimer