[kwlug-disc] Tomorrow's presentation; A Geekly Bribe!

L.D. Paniak ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com
Sun Jan 5 22:29:59 EST 2014

On 01/05/2014 09:40 PM, Digimer wrote:
> I'm not sure how the weather will play out on tomorrow's meeting. If
> the roads are dangerous, I'd be perfectly fine rescheduling. Not worth
> anyone getting into an accident, of course. :)
>
> If the talk is on though, I thought I'd try to bribe those sitting on
> the fence about whether to come or not. Thanks to our vendors, we've
> got some pretty awesome hardware for the demo tomorrow. Here's a sneak
> peak:
>
> http://imgur.com/a/9qWhv
>
> It is, thus far, the fastest Anvil! we've built. Synchronously
> replicated storage reliably clocking ~835 MB/sec. I know I am all
> biased and stuff, but it's a pretty sweet setup and I am looking
> forward to showing it off tomorrow.
>
> If anyone wants to come with some questions, the talk's goal will be
> to introduce:
>
> https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2
>
> Obviously, we'll only be getting a high-level view, simply out of
> time. So here's a chance to take a peak at it early and come with any
> questions. I'm hoping that the talk will be about 50% demo, 50% Q&A.
>
> See you all (hopefully) tomorrow!

Thanks for the trailer!  I am certainly looking forward to tomorrow's
meeting - though I may ask pesky questions about the comparative
advantages and disadvantages of other (distributed) redundant storage
systems.

As far as I know, the meeting is still on for tomorrow and I plan on
being there as host.  The weather outlook does not look very positive:
40km/h+ wind, flurries  and -18C tomorrow evening.  If you want to
reschedule, I suspect the group would be receptive to that as we are not
in the business of imperiling speakers or attendees. In any case, the
list will make any strong feelings on this point known shortly!

Cheers,
Lori