[kwlug-disc] need a new router -- which one?

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Dec 5 12:22:23 EST 2014

Thanks to all who replied.  I bought Asus RT-N66U from CC, which is
pretty much top of the line for wireless-N.  It's running Linux
underneath.  2 things I look for in a router are

    1. client bridge -- It claims that it can do "client bridge".
	TP-Link WDR4300 says the same thing, but it lies.  So, Asus may
	be lying, but I don't need that feature from this one.  Its job
	is to be the main router.

    2. buffer bloat scheduler -- Its QoS section is pretty ordinary.
	You can set priority based on IP/port/MAC.  What I need is
	FQ_CODEL packet scheduler to handle "buffer bloat" problem.
	Asus may have this builtin and just not showing to user.

I don't feel like flashing DD-WRT right away, so we'll see how Asus
firmware performs.

Replying to other followups...

- No new device was introduced.  Same router, same clients.  No new
  household appliance either.  Even if there is an incompatible device,
  why are other connections dropping?

- I need both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  Of the two, 2.4GHz is more important
  because most devices can only do single-band.  But, problems were
  happening to both frequencies.
--
William