[kwlug-disc] Where to fix an Acer A500 tablet?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Dec 4 09:33:03 EST 2014

Well, my Acer A500 tablet (Nvidia Tegra based) acted up (no picture
while playing a video, but there was sound). It was not responding to
any touch input.
So, I had to power it off, and it would not come up.
After searching every where on how to unlock the boot loader and
reload it, I was able to get Honeycomb (Android 3.2) on it.
>From there, I was trying to get to to ICS or JB, and was halfway there.
I was doing this from nvflash, an Nvidia tool for the Tegra platform
that you can use from Linux.

But suddenly it started to refuse the partitioning command, with an
error that says there is a media problem (full error below).

So, what are my options for fixing this tablet for a reasonably price?
If I send it to Acer, they will replace the motherboard. Before I do
that, does anyone know of a place to try locally? I already called
MyTech (the small shop inside Walmart), and they said it is not
feasible since they will order a part from Acer, and refused to try
that.

The output is:
sending file: flash.bct
- 4080/4080 bytes sent
flash.bct sent successfully
odm data: 0x100c0105
downloading bootloader -- load address: 0x108000 entry point: 0x108000
sending file: bootloader.bin
| 714385/714385 bytes sent
bootloader.bin sent successfully
waiting for bootloader to initialize
bootloader downloaded successfully
setting device: 2 3
creating partition: BCT
creating partition: PT
creating partition: EBT
creating partition: GP1
creating partition: SOS
creating partition: LNX
creating partition: APP
creating partition: CAC
creating partition: MSC
creating partition: FLX
creating partition: AKB
creating partition: UDA
creating partition: GPT
                                                           Formatting
partition 2 BCT please wait.. FAILED!
command failure: create failed (bad data)
bootloader status: specified partition is invalid or does not exist
(code: 7) message: nverror:0x42008 (0x6042008) flags: 0
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.