[kwlug-disc] Waterloo ISPs

William Park opengeometry at yahoo.ca
Fri Aug 22 15:59:19 EDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 02:25:58PM -0400, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I was put off of VMedia by all of the negative comments on ispreports.com,
> until I realized that all of the ISPs there have their whiners.
>
> Pricewise, using 60d/10u unlimited as a reference, VMedia is $65, TekSavvy
> is $95, Distributel is $90, Acana is $75.
>
> I asked the TekSavvy rep what was she going to do to keep my business
> (being that I was paying $65 for 28/1), and she said that they can't change
> the prices, but they have "the Zap the Cap feature that when you order a
> plan that is 300 GB, you turn the Zap the Cap on and you can have unlimited
> service for the price of the 300 GB plan. The tool needs to be left on for
> the whole month to have unlimited service for the price of 300 GB. With Zap
> the Cap enabled, your speeds will be reduced to 15 MBPS between 8pm and
> 12am. Outside of the 8pm to 12am window, you will receive your full package
> speed."

Yeah, I have Zap-the-Cap turned on, and Teksavvy doesn't count bandwidth
between 2am-8am.

> 1/4 normal speeds during Prime Time?  What good is that?
>
> So I think I'm going to investigate VMedia some more.  They have the best
> prices, and Khalid seems to like them.

It depends on your location, too.  Where I am, Teksavvy is the cheapest
Internet + VoIP combination.  I can find better prices individually, but
I'm not going to fight for $10 monthly difference.  Going to KWLUG
meeting is $10 fuel + food/beer/coffee + tax + tip...  :-)