[kwlug-disc] Waterloo ISPs

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 14:25:58 EDT 2014

I was put off of VMedia by all of the negative comments on ispreports.com,
until I realized that all of the ISPs there have their whiners.

Pricewise, using 60d/10u unlimited as a reference, VMedia is $65, TekSavvy
is $95, Distributel is $90, Acana is $75.

I asked the TekSavvy rep what was she going to do to keep my business
(being that I was paying $65 for 28/1), and she said that they can't change
the prices, but they have "the Zap the Cap feature that when you order a
plan that is 300 GB, you turn the Zap the Cap on and you can have unlimited
service for the price of the 300 GB plan. The tool needs to be left on for
the whole month to have unlimited service for the price of 300 GB. With Zap
the Cap enabled, your speeds will be reduced to 15 MBPS between 8pm and
12am. Outside of the 8pm to 12am window, you will receive your full package
speed."

1/4 normal speeds during Prime Time?  What good is that?

So I think I'm going to investigate VMedia some more.  They have the best
prices, and Khalid seems to like them.