[kwlug-disc] Waterloo ISPs

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Aug 22 17:02:09 EDT 2014

I challenge you to consume even 15Mbps continuously. (Or any one service
to feed you that fast continuously, for that matter.)

'Lower speed' doesn't mean 'insufficient'. This is the marketing fallacy
going on. Let alone increased speed and lower cap - who cares! Drop the
speed and the cap -> happier people. (If your ISO download takes 5
minutes, or 15, who cares - you're off doing something else in the mean
time, regardless.) [Doesn't the move to higher speeds mean they had the
capacity? So much for the CRTC arguments made some while ago.]

Remember, DSL maxes out at 5Mbps, is considered sufficient for netflix
plus a couple of simultaneous voip calls. With 3x that, I doubt you'll
notice. [Unless you have 4 different people simultaneously consuming 4
different shows, all HD / 1080i, at the same time.)

 > Yeah, I have Zap-the-Cap turned on, and Teksavvy doesn't count
 > bandwidth between 2am-8am.

Hopefully that's a modem / their end thing? Not an 'app' that has to run
on any connected device?

 > It depends on your location, too.  Where I am, Teksavvy is the
 >  cheapest Internet + VoIP combination.

So take the VoIP out of that equation, to be fair. If the whole bundling
thing has been a bugaboo, I don't get how we're all falling back into
that trap with VoIP. Just run it over your regular ISP.

I get the "it ain't broke" factor, though. But something to keep in mind
at one's next move.