[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Aug 20 13:12:03 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM, L.D. Paniak <ldpaniak at fourpisolutions.com>
wrote:

> Can someone explain the philosophical differences (because those appear to
> be what the most fervent anti/proponents of systemd hinge arguments on)
> between systemd (anti-UNIX evil!) and something like busybox (super-cool
> tool!)?

Not the right analogy, IMHO.

busybox is not a general UNIX thing. It is a specialized toolset for low
resource systems where memory and flash space is so precious. So out of
necessity one binary has to be many things in that niche of the market.

We don't find busybox causing a dependency chain that makes it the only
option for mainstream distros.

Also, it won based on merit: a proven piece that has no rival, and no other
philosophical issues.

For example, busybox does not try to reimplement the boot loader, the file
system, logging, ...etc. and encroaching on everything else. It is the
right solution for the niche.

Again, if systemd was just a faster init with better syntax for
configuration, no one would have objected. But it is not just that.

Regardless of how bad systemd is, the intent of those who espouse it and
> what the ultimate objectives of systemd are, open source has a fail-safe
> solution:  fork it!

I hope so ...
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin