[kwlug-disc] Debian/Ubuntu dependency management

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Aug 12 12:55:25 EDT 2014

I doubt this is the case most of the times. Repositories are small
enough to sync pretty quickly. In any case, any such issue would be
resolved within a couple of hours. They're not that big. If in doubt,
switch to the main repository rather than a mirror, or do security
updates only, for that moment. (It always astonishes me just how much
smaller linux software distribution is - what windows would be if all
the cruft were stripped away. It's just an OS and app core
functionality, people!)

Don't be fooled ... the buntu's have their own version of dll hell that
results every so often. Generally, circular dependencies.

This happened a couple of weeks back, and a real PITA. Felt like main
kde/(k)ubuntu packages (...13.2?) got updated missing something left
behind at (...10.8?). Had to downgrade ... one by one by one ... then
built back up to get the new package I wanted.

Granted, as Khalid says, generally leave it a couple days and the
inter-dependency problems get noted and addressed.

Certainly one of the nice things is the list of updates is presented
beforehand, and a resolution suggestion made. Usually best to just say Q
(quit) at that point, and give it a couple of days.

And/or only update certain packages given in the list, leaving the
problematic package(s) out of the list for the moment.

The last time I encountered this before was when trying to add i386
packages to my x64 system, for Wine and Skype IIRC. NOT FUN!

And, as noted in prior threads ... the Ubuntu packages seem to be better
presented as a coherent whole, versus the 'Red Hat'/RPM ecosystem. Same
packages, but the external .rpm's seem less consistent in being coherent
with the main repositories.

All in all a pretty startingly smooth experience, and more than once
I've thought ... thank goodness I'm no longer doing it on the prior
systems! We all have better things to do that try to figure out how drop
a piece of free software in, and can better focus on just being
productive with it.