[kwlug-disc] Debian/Ubuntu dependency management

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Tue Aug 12 12:09:05 EDT 2014

I agree, it's awesome. I see this sometimes too and I wonder if it
happens when repositories are still syncing. So by the next day the
mirrors have finishing syncing packages and updates go smoothly.

I have three home systems on Wheezy since the early days of it being
testing and stuck with it when it switched to stable. I had been
running testing for a number of years previously I've been really
enjoying the low maintenance that stable requires. The backports
repository has really improved the long-term usability of stable on
the desktop which had been my issue previously. I would start on
stable, want some such improvement from package x so dist-upgrade to
testing/sid to get it (or pin so many packages that I was effectively
running testing/sid). I do currently have an issue with the current
backport Nvidia drivers not working with 3.14 from backports (or at
all with 3.14 from the reading I did a month ago) so it's not bullet
proof. On the bright side nouveau drivers are much better than the
were a couple years ago when I last tested them. Advanced VDPAU
deinterlacing is really nice to have for 1080i content recorded in
myth which is the only reason I care to use Nvidia over nouveau.
~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...