[kwlug-disc] Debian/Ubuntu dependency management

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Aug 12 13:01:17 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> I doubt this is the case most of the times. Repositories are small enough
> to sync pretty quickly. In any case, any such issue would be resolved
> within a couple of hours. They're not that big. If in doubt, switch to the
> main repository rather than a mirror, or do security updates only, for that
> moment. (It always astonishes me just how much smaller linux software
> distribution is - what windows would be if all the cruft were stripped
> away. It's just an OS and app core functionality, people!)

My guess is that it is a Kubuntu specific thing, which has less of an
installed base in the *buntu universe, and therefore it was detected later
than it would have been if it was a Unity thing.

For example, part of the conflicts I was getting was:

Leave the following dependencies unresolved:
3) kubuntu-restricted-extras recommends libavcodec-extra-53

> Usually best to just say Q (quit) at that point, and give it a couple of
> days.

That is exactly what I do too.

> The last time I encountered this before was when trying to add i386
> packages to my x64 system, for Wine and Skype IIRC. NOT FUN!

I have the i386 packages too, and for Skype as well. Really annoying when
you run a 64 bit and have to do this just for one vendor.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.