[kwlug-disc] kwlug moribund? [Was: Creative Mornings]

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Mon Apr 28 14:27:27 EDT 2014

I think KWLUG already has a presence on those social media platforms:

Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/s/kwlug

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/235909336445540/

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1769625

Twitter: https://twitter.com/kwlug

!Fediverse: http://sn.jonkman.ca/kwlug and
http://sn.jonkman.ca/group/kwlug

I'm a co-admin for the LinkedIn page, and I'm the voice of KWLUG on
Twitter and in the !Fediverse. If anyone wants to join me I'll be glad
to hand out the passwords in an encrypted e-mail, or in person at the
next meeting.

I've been live-microblogging the last few KWLUG meetings, but aside
from a few "Favorited" and re-Tweets by total strangers I'm not sure
if the effort is worth the result. Does anyone here find the
live-blogging of @KWLUG meetings useful?

For myself I would do neither Facebook nor Google+, and Twitter only
as an amplifier for the !Fediverse.  But in the case of the Ubuntu
Canadian team, at an Ubuntu IRC meeting (with International Observers
from the Local Community (LoCo) Council) it was suggested that we
expand to where people are, and that's Facebook and Google+.  So
Cranky got roped into managing a Google+ community page for Ubuntu-ca,
and Sammy Lao (razorgoto) was volunteered into setting up a Facebook
Ubuntu-ca page. So now I'm actually on both Google+ and Facebook far
more than I want to be.

I've been cross-promoting Ubuntu-ca IRC/Video Chat meetings and Ubuntu
Hours on Google+, Facebook, Ubuntu forums and mailing lists, and still
the last IRC/Video Chat meeting consisted mostly of me talking to myself.

I suspect that the high-tech and FAIF crowds I hang out with at both
KWLUG and Ubuntu-ca have not much interest in any of the commercial
social media sites, and both groups are more active on their mailing
lists than anywhere else. And perhaps that's how it should be.

- --Bob.

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388
http://bob.jonkman.ca/blogs/    http://sn.jonkman.ca/bobjonkman/